Travel Through Aboriginal Land Permits

Permits for passing through Aboriginal Lands are essential for visitors travelling the Great Central Road. Your permit will also provide you with important information about safe transit and relevant Ngaanyatjarra Council by-laws. 

What permits do I need?

There are two application forms that must be submitted:

  1. '3-day Transit Permit' from the Ngaanyatjarra Council Group. The application form can be found here
  2. 'Permit to Access or Travel Through Aboriginal Land' from the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage. The application form can be found here

Please note:

  • You must obtain your permits prior to travelling the Great Central Road and allow two to three weeks prior to your journey for your applications to be processed.
  • It is the right of the traditional owners to refuse an entry permit.
  • The area is patrolled, and fines will be issued if visitors have not obtained a permit.
  • Permits to transit between the Northern Territory Border and Laverton along the Great Central Road are issued for a maximum period of three days and two nights only. If you are unable to transit through the Ngaanyatjarra Lands within three days, you should seek an alternative route.

Can I enter the communities?

If you are a visitor travelling the Great Central Road you are not permitted to enter any of the communities. Only people providing essential services are permitted to enter communities. There are no exceptions.

Where can I find more information?

More information and contact details can be found on the websites of the Ngaanyatjarra Council Group or the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage.