At its formation the Shire assumed responsibility for the limited services previously provided by the Shire of Wiluna. Since then the Shire has been steadily improving and extending the range of services provided to the communities. In implementing these services the Council has needed to allow for the culture and sensitivities of the local communities.
Initially in most instances this was achieved by making contributions to fund existing facilities and services such as ovals, street lights, welfare, TV and radio retransmission, swimming pools and culture. However increasingly the Shire is now taking the more conventional avenue and providing the service directly. This includes Health, Building, Waste Services, Litter control, Rubbish Disposal Sites, Road Sealing, Sports & Recreation, Project management and other community-based programs. Since sealing the Warburton, Warakurna and Jameson Community, Council has taken control of roads within communities.
- Management Services - Tjulyuru Cultural & Civic Centre.
- Daily rubbish collection - Warburton, Warakurna and Jameson.
- Litter control - Warburton and Warakurna.
- Dog control program - all communities.
- Project Management - all communities.
- Refuse site maintenance - Warburton & Warakurna monthly all other communities annually.
- Verge Maintenance Programme/Road Sweeping - Warburton, Warakurna and Jameson.
- School holiday youth recreation programme.
- Maintenance of Football/Recreation Oval - Warburton and Warakurna.
- Provision of funding for street lighting - all communities.
- Road maintenance.
- Health services - Environmental Health Officer services all aboriginal communities within the Shire. (Service provided under contract with City of Canning).
- Building services - Building Surveyor issues building licences and inspects all new building and structures within the Shire (Service provided by the City of Canning).
- Youth Development Programme.
- Youth/Drop in Centres at Warburton, Warakurna, Jameson, Blackstone and Wanarn.
- Provide a biannual TV/Radio equipment maintenance programme for all communities.
- Sport & Recreation programme.
Road Construction and Maintenance
The Shire is responsible for the maintenance of all roads currently on the Shire's Road Inventory. The Shire currently tenders the work to contractors.
Major Roads maintained by the Shire:
- Great Central Road (Outback Way) 438kms
- Giles Mulga Park Road 136kms
- Blackstone Access Road 244kms
- Tjukurla Access Road 94kms
- Tjirrkarli Access Road 97kms
- Wanarn Access Road 19kms
- Patjarr Access Road 192kms
- Jameson Access Road 52kms
- Warakurna Access Road 5kms
- Wingellina Access Road 7kms
- Kanpa Access Road 25kms
Council has taken over responsibility for waste management services at Warburton, Warakurna and Jameson. A Works team employed from within the communities carry out the Waste Service program. The capital cost of duplicating plant and depots has prevented the extension of the service to other communities at this stage.
Streetscape Program and Street Sweeping & Litter Control
The Shire is committed to improving the appearance of the Shire's streets and has developed this program for Warburton, Warakurna and Jameson - other communities to follow. Road verge maintenance ensures the community's road verges do not become over grown and keeps the appearance of the communities visually pleasing.